Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Heron Song

We went to the park tonight and Joel spotted a huge Heron by the lake. This is probably the biggest bird I have ever seen in the wild. This thing was at least 3 feet tall. Joel was so inspired by the sight of the huge bird, he said, "I'm going to sing a song about the Heron." And he made up this song on the spot, which had a tune and everything:

I'm a big Heron
I'm standing quiet
Looking for fish

I'm a big Heron
I'm not a blue Heron
like the Heron at home

I'm a big Heron
Now I'm climbing up the slide
And playing at the park

That's the end of the song
About the Heron and me!

Thank you! Thank you!

After the song I asked him how he knew about saying "Thank you! Thank you!" after performing a song and he said, "From Elmo, daddy." I'm pretty impressed with his first composition. I think he got a little confused about who he was singing about during the 3rd stanza, but then he tied it all together nicely with the final line, "About the Heron and me!" OK, so it's not quite Mozart, but I enjoyed it.

No comments: