Sunday, August 19, 2007

Faith like a child

The other night I was reading Joel a story from a great new book Jorie picked up for him called "How Dinosaurs Go to Bed" and Joel noticed that one of the dinosaurs was playing with a little wooden train. Lately Joel has come to the realization that it is within Mommy and Daddy's power to buy pretty much whatever he wants, he just has to convince us that what he wants is SOOOO important. So we hear a lot of, "I don't have a train like THAT, Daddy, can I get a train like THAT?" and "But I really want one, Daddy, I really need a train like that!" We try to talk to him about how it's important to be content with the things we have, but I think those lofty ideas go right over the head of a 3-year old.

Anyways, so Joel saw the wooden train the dinosaur had and decided he wanted a train just like THAT because he didn't have a train just like THAT and we were going through the usual rigamarole. Then the story ended and I said, "Now it's time to say our prayer." Joel's eyes lit up with an idea. "Daddy, I want to pray to God for a train like that!" I said, "OK, Joel, we can do that, but I've gotta tell you, God doesn't usually work that way. He always hears and answers our prayers, but He knows what's best for us. So sometimes the answer is 'No' and sometimes the answer is 'Yes, but not until you're ready'."

So Joel closed his eyes, made himself stiff as a board in his bed, pointed his chin up towards the heavens and shouted, "I'm ready, God! I'm ready for my train!!" as if he expected the ceiling to open up and the train to come falling down right into his bed. I had to crack up at this point, and then of course I explained how God decides when we are ready.

No comments: